[ Top | Up |
Prev | Next |
Map | Index ]
What was new in version 3?
This section lists the new features which were in version 3 of analog.
- What's new in version 6?
- What was new in version 5?
- What was new in version 4?
- 3.32 (02-Sep-99)
- Bug fixes, including:
New VMS build scripts. Let me know of any compilation problems.
- Drag-and-drop on Mac now works.
- Unsafe characters in hyperlinks now escaped.
- One bug that caused crashes when printing deep Directory Reports
Computer-readable output now reports version of analog used.
Improved some diagnostic messages.
New language Serbo-Croatian; new domains files for Italian and
Russian; corrected Polish language files.
New documentation on
Analog's reports and
Now uses named anchors throughout the documentation, so that
cross-references link to the right part of a page.
- 3.31 (19-Jun-99)
- New command BARSTYLE;
you will need to use new images.
Russian language file corrected.
Some bug fixes, including one important one correcting cache file
- 3.3 (19-May-99)
- New commands ERRFILE,
Can include the date in the name of the
OUTFILE and the
Support for WebSite logfiles.
New token %U in log
formats for "Unix time" (seconds since 1970).
Won't overwrite old cache files.
Now works properly on SunOS 4.
Fix for occasional crashes on Windows.
Checks language files are not too long.
"Last seven days" data now calculated more accurately and
displayed more clearly.
Computer-readable output now reports SORTBY's as well as
Revised Makefile will work with older make's.
Corrected Catalan language files.
Includes form interfaces in French and Japanese.
LOGFORMAT documentation now includes the
LOGFORMAT commands for
all built-in log formats.
- 3.2 (04-May-99)
- Bug fixes: in particular REFLINKINCLUDE pages now works;
and cache files now include all items even if they're not wanted for the
Lines without a particular item now work properly with
INCLUDE and EXCLUDE commands. This can cause
differences in results from previous
New version of form interface to work round bug in Microsoft
Internet Information Server.
New command NOROBOTS.
Backslashes are now coerced to forward slashes in filenames and
usernames. While not always correct technically, it usually is in
practice, and it makes them behave correctly in other parts of the
Usernames are now treated as case insensitive. Let me know if this
causes a problem on any system.
Computer-readable output style now reports floors.
Rewritten Unix Makefile, and VMS build script. Let me know of any
New languages: Catalan, Icelandic, Japanese, Korean, Latvian,
Lithuanian. Corrected Spanish language files and French domains file.
LANGUAGE now selects local domains file automatically,
Removed support for NetPresenz logs. The reasons are in the section
on how to upgrade.
Form interface documentation rewritten;
FAQ broken into sections; sections on
logfiles and log
formats separated and rewritten; new section on
helper applications; and dozens of other
improvements to the documentation.
- 3.11 (26-Nov-98)
- Bug fix version.
Microsoft's attempt at W3 extended format is now understood even if
there is a second #Fields: line in the logfile.
There is also a fix for a new Microsoft bug which results in an
non-standard common format.
Intermittent crashes under Windows fixed.
Mailing lists announced.
- 3.1 (17-Oct-98)
- Understands Microsoft's attempt at W3 extended format.
Several bugs fixed, including one that caused occasional
crashes and one that caused the output to grow and grow.
Form interface works on Windows.
Allows aliases with two or more *'s on left hand side, if
right hand side contains no *'s.
Aliases work properly with CASE INSENSITIVE.
Numerical SUBDOMAINs fixed.
Understands more WebSTAR and Netscape tokens.
Accents in domains file work.
LOGFORMAT removed from form interface as
Several warning messages improved.
Report aliases and in/exclusions shown in settings
Character set declared at top of output.
Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian (Bokmål and Nynorsk), Finnish,
Turkish, Greek, Polish, Russian & Chinese language files included.
- 3.0 (15-Jun-98)
- Corrected W3 extended format.
Fix for broken strcmp() function on SunOS 5.
Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish and Hungarian language
Precompiled executable for OS/2 available.
- 2.91beta1 (04-Jun-98)
- Form interface included.
Uses less memory when compiling reports.
New operating system, BS2000/OSD, and code for EBCDIC character set.
More information added to PRINTVARS output.
AppleScript support for Unix-style command lines added to Mac
Now works on SunOS 4, and other small bug fixes.
French, German, Swedish, Czech, Slovak, Slovene and Romanian
language files included.
One page version of the Readme included in the documentation.
- 2.90beta4 (09-Apr-98)
- Mended DNS cache file reading, which I broke in yesterday's release.
- 2.90beta3 (08-Apr-98)
- Fixed bug that caused a crash while giving warning messages on SunOS;
bug that caused configuration files that called other configuration
files not to be completed; and other smaller bugs.
Italian language files included.
- 2.90beta2 (03-Apr-98)
- Separate LOGFORMATs for North American and international
date formats, when using Microsoft or Netpresenz logs.
Understands the AppleShare IP server's attempt at the WebSTAR format.
Directory report now works properly even if you use the second
argument to the LOGFILE
Wild cards in filenames work properly on the Mac.
Other small bug fixes.
One speed improvement (I gain about 3%).
Several corrections and clarifications to the documentation.
- 2.90beta1 (27-Mar-98)
- This version is a completely rewritten version. Every single line of
code is new. The whole code is shorter despite considerable improvements
in functionality. Several people have reported that it is significantly
faster. The most important new features are:
The following features have been abolished.
- Eleven new reports (Quarter-Hour, Five-Minute, Redirection,
Failure, File Size, Referring Site, Redirected Referrer, Failed
Referrer, Virtual Host, User, User Failure).
- Reads logfiles in user-customisable format.
- Analyses user and virtual host data, and failed requests.
- Hierarchical reports list subdirectories under directories, and
allow analysis of browser version numbers.
- Faster sorting of long reports.
- Floor and sort method made independent.
- "Last date" column in reports, and can floor and sort by
- Busiest time period at bottom of time reports.
- "Not listed" line at bottom of other report.
- Knows HTTP/1.1 status codes.
- General Summary can go anywhere in the report.
- General Summary and "Go To"s can now be turned on and
- Status Code Report can be sorted in different ways.
- Time offset commands.
- Much better checking of invalid configuration options and invalid
- Only reads logfiles it might need.
- Improvements in DNS functionality: can now read the DNS file
without further lookups: also, separate recheck intervals for
successful and failed lookups.
- Hash sizes now chosen automatically.
- More flexible language support.
- Mac version reads gzipped logfiles.
- Mac version supports drag-and-drop onto program icon.
- Readme files completely re-written. Broken into lots of files,
and new sections on Starting to use
analog and What the
results mean, as well as an
The following features are not yet present, but will be added by
- No Error Report. The error log was always intended for humans
rather than computers to read. Moreover, its format varied from
server to server, and even between different versions of the same
server. The place of the Error Report has largely been taken by
the new reports, particularly the Failure Report.
- The approximate host counting has been abolished for the time
being. I can put it back if there is a significant demand for it.
- Only one * can now appear on the left-hand side of
aliases. This is to avoid ambiguities.
- For changes in the names and syntax of configuration options and
command line arguments, see the section about
- The form interface.
- Most of the languages.
- What was new in version 2?
- What was new in version 1?
Go to the analog home page.
19 December 2004
Need help with analog? Use the analog-help
[ Top | Up |
Prev | Next |
Map | Index ]